Bodie, California In The 1890s
Bodie began because of gold. In 1859, a group of prospectors, which included W.S. Bodey discovered gold in the location, at the same time that silver was discovered close by in Aurora and the Comstock Lode was found beneath Virginia City.
Bodie in the 1890s, colorized.
Bodey died the next November, never seeing the town that was named after him. The mine was originally named the Bunker Hill Mine. After two stamp mills failed, in 1875, a mine cave-in revealed a profitable gold deposit, and the new owners changed the name to the Standard Mine. Thus, the town went from a mining camp to a boom town practically overnight. Bodie’s population rose to between 7,000-10,000 and there was around 2,000 buildings. In 1877, the first newspaper, The Standard Pioneer Journal of Mono County was published. A telegraph line connecting Bodie to Bridgeport and Genoa, Nevada was built, and, since people believed that Bodie would be the next Comstock Lode, they arrived from Nevada and California in the hopes of becoming rich. The gold from the mines, which was valued at nearly $34 million was sent to Carson City, Nevada, and once there, it either went to the mint in Carson City, or it was sent to the mint in San Francisco.
Like it? Share with your friends!
When she’s not out walking her dog, or taking in a baseball game, Linda loves learning about history, science, and philosophy. She will travel wherever the wind may blow, and happily loses herself in a book, whenever she can. At heart, she is a music loving tree-hugger.